I know why Ovarian Cancer is called the Silent Killer

I know why Ovarian Cancer is called the Silent Killer. 

The symptoms are so subtle, so common to other things, that you would never guess you have an unwelcome guest residing in your pelvis and abdomen.

In August, I noticed a very subtle feeling in my lower left pelvic area around where I guessed was my left ovary. It was nothing really. Just felt like I had a full bladder or maybe a touch of constipation. I only felt it at night when I laid on my left side and got the sudden urge to hop up and pee. When I started my period, the feeling subsided, so I chalked it up to the fact I was about to start.

In September, I felt the same sensation, only more so. It was more constant. I also noticed I had to go pee after every single class period and at least 3 or 4 times during the night. I remember just feeling crummy, but not understanding why. I was chalking it up to the fact I really needed to lose weight and start eating better. 

Not many knew, but I had also tried again for baby #2. So some symptoms, I wrote off as possible signs of pregnancy. The feeling I was having in my ovary, the constant running to the bathroom, the increase in the need to eat Tums like it was candy because of reflux. I even started spotting, which I had never done before. I was hopeful it was implantation bleeding. When it turned out that it wasn't, I contacted my OBGYN's office to let them know what was going on with me. Because our focus was on having a baby, we checked my progesterone levels, which were low. 

Then comes October. The constant feeling of there being something sitting on my left ovary never went away. Running to the bathroom increased more, more Tums eating, and once again spotting, which never happened to me. I contacted my OBGYN's office again through the portal. A new-to-me nurse read and responded by telling me to take some ibuprofen to help with the symptoms that were classic PMS symptoms.

Yes, they were classic PMS symptoms (discomfort on the left side where ovary was, frequent urination, spotting, refulx), BUT this was MY body and I knew at this point that there had to be something more going on. So, because I am persistent, I sent another message through the portal to a nurse who knew me better, and knew my story. She set me up for an ultrasound the very next day.

October 28- I went for my ultrasound. The sweet tech was the same one who had done most of my ultrasounds when I was pregnant with Sawyer. She was so kind and talked the whole time. I thought it was very odd that she had zoomed in so far on my ovary because it looked gigantic! After the ultrasound was over, she asked if I was supposed to talk with my Dr. She was very smooth in saying she would just go check before I left. She came back and told me that the doctor could go ahead and go over it with me. So nonchalant, so I wouldn't suspect anything.

My doctor, who I've known for 20 years and is a family friend, came in to the room with our normal friendly greetings. Then she sat down and told me my ultrasound showed a 10 cm mass on my left ovary. I started crying. I knew what this meant, or could potentially mean. My family history leans towards cancer. My grandmother had breast and ovarian cancer, my mom had breast cancer, my sister had breast cancer, I am BRCA 1 positive. The odds are high for me to get cancer. 

She referred me to a gynecological oncologist who she highly respects. They have talked often about me since my initial diagnosis. 

They drew blood work to check my CA 125 levels, which checks for ovarian cancer. The blood work came back a week later in the middle of my 2nd period class, a few hours before I was going to meet the oncologist. Levels that should be below 35, mine were 600.

On November 3, I met Dr. Nick, who is very detailed, thorough, and kind. She asked a lot of questions and listened to me knowing my heart is to do whatever I can to stay alive for my baby. November 4, I had a CT of my chest, abdomen, and pelvis to help Dr. Nick best determine what was going on and the treatment I needed. 

November 5, my world changed. I was scheduled for surgery. A tele-medicine visit with Dr. Nick explained more about what I was facing. She was so kind on the call because she knew I was upset. My CT confirmed the mass on my left ovary, but also showed tumors on my intestines and spleen. My CA 125 had also increase to 1106. Where she had put off confirming it as cancer until a biopsy, she finally told me she could not NOT tell me it is cancer because of all of the data. 

What's crazy, is I still didn't feel "sick". I saw all the lit up spots on my CT, spots that had been growing inside me for who knows how long, all while I felt ok, not 100%, but ok. If I had not put my foot down that something was wrong, it could be so much worse. Moreover, if I hadn't really started paying attention to my body to know something was wrong...

I'm praising God that I listened to my body, stood up for my body, and that within less than 2 weeks I was diagnosed and scheduled for surgery.

I know why Ovarian Cancer is called the Silent Killer. 


Next blog: Surgery

Comments